Friday, October 22, 2010

.:Hallowe'en:Horror:Project:. Day 21

I can't believe there are only 10 days left until Hallowe'en! Time moves too fast. Though it did not necessarily feel that way whilst I was enjoying tonight's horror film. I decided to check out the Val Lewton produced "Cat People". In most of the books I've read about horror cinema the Val Lewton films are always held up as a bench mark for intelligent horror film & "Cat People" is often touted as the first of these. I found it to be a good thriller but barely a horror story. Sort of an update of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" without the horror elements or the feminist slant that make "The Yellow Wallpaper" so gripping for me. The "Cat People" disk that came from Netflix also has "The Curse of the Cat People" on it, so I look forward to checking that out. All in all not a bad movie. I just had different expectations for it. I am also looking forward to watching "I Walked With A Zombie", another of the Lewton produced films. I saw this years ago & remember it quite fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment